Here is a calculator if you need to calculate GST only. Alberta is the only province in Canada with a no-retail-sales-tax policy, so in Alberta there are no other sales taxes except Goods and Services Tax (GST). This applies to all territories (Northwest Territories, Nunavut, Yukon) too.
Current (2018) GST rate in Canada is 5%.
Any input field of this calculator can be used:
- Enter price without GST – GST value and price including GST will be calculated.
- Enter GST value and get GST inclusive and GST exclusive prices.
- Enter GST inclusive price and calculate reverse GST value and GST exclusive price.
How to calculate GST manualy
GST calculation is quite simple. Here are two scenarios:
- You have price without GST and you need to calculate final price including GST:
base_amount is a price before GST is applied
GST = base_amount * 0.05;
final_price = base_amount * 1.05;Example: base_amount = $100, GST= $100 * 0.05 = $5 and final_price =$100 * 1.05 = $105
- Given price is GST inclusive and reverse GST calculation must be performed:final_price is GST inclusive price
GST part in this case is more complicated gst = final_price * 5 / 105 = final_price / 21
base_amount = final_price / 1.05Example: final_price = $100, GST= $100 / 21 = $4.76 and base_amount = $100 / 1.05 = $95.24
But you don’t need to know all these formulas and can just use above GST calculator to calculate GST or reverse GST.
Here are some sales tax (GST/VAT) calculators for other countries: